Tuesday, June 1, 2010

RAW Review 5-31-10

After a month long hiatus I'm back to highlight what I felt was one of the best episodes of Monday Night RAW in quite some time. I have been enjoying RAW since the draft as it has felt really fresh. Last night however took freshness to a whole new level. Here's my random thoughts...

- Bret Hart as GM is really working IMO. He's not the greatest on the mic but he's not bad either. He does give the position lots of credibility. And to me it just feels right. He was a wrestling fan's wrestler - who better to manage a wrestling show? Lots of potential if they really dive into his perspective on the business. Now, the confrontation with Vince was pretty confusing. Maybe I'm stupid, but I just didn't get it. I hope it's a one time deal and they are not trying to breathe more life into the feud. I must admit though, the crowd popped for Vince. The character still matters, whether I like it or not.

- Evan Bourne really got a nice little push this episode and he certainly came through. I thought he came off completely legit in the main event alongside Cena. And many props to Cena for giving Bourne the rub. Say what you want about Cena, but he does what is asked of him and seemed really genuine in helping Bourne get over last night. There's no reason why Bourne couldn't and shouldn't feud with Edge. Why not have a little mini-feud between the two over the next few weeks leading to Bourne causing Edge the match at Fatal 4 Way? Do it!

- Speaking of Edge, he was great. I still feel it was too soon of a turn but he's making the best of it. He's a great heel, so in the long run it will work.

- Daniel Bryan Danielson beats the Miz - yes, everything is going according to plan (evil laugh). Okay, maybe not everything, but they've really done a great job with Bryan since burying him and then writing him off of NXT. He and the Miz are the perfect recipe for a feud and I'm glad it is finally happening. This will benefit both of them when it is over because Bryan will win over a lot of people simply for going against a great heel such as Miz and Miz will benefit from Bryan's ability to pull a great match out of anyone. Hope they face off on PPV.

- I've been marking out huge for the Hart Dynasty and I love that they've brought in another 2nd gen/wrestling family tag team to feud with them. Now, one of the Usos (not sure if it was the same both weeks) botched for two straight weeks and from what I hear they may not be truly ring-ready. But I'm just happy they are giving someone new a chance and making the tag belts seem relevant again. Not sure why the Briscoes (of ROH) have not been brought in yet as I thought they would have been a great feud for THD. Either way, The Usos are much more compelling at this point than Carlito and Primo would have been. And David Hart Smith and Tyson Kidd have really stepped up to the plate to show why they deserve this push.

- Randy Orton must be pretty hurt as they are keeping him out of matches, I imagine until Fatal 4 Way. Which begs the question, should he be in the match at F4W? I know he's their number 1 guy right now but I'd hate to see him get hurt worse. Plus, the Fatal 4 Way gimmick seems like the perfect chance to get someone new in the Main Event. I dunno, I just hope they're not being reckless.

- Santino is hilarious. The match was terrible and it's a shame to see a talent such as William Regal be wasted, but man Santino is funny and pretty darn over by the sound of last night's crowd.

- Ashton Kutcher? Not as good as advertised. It was obvious that all the segments were pre-taped anyway. I guess he adds some credibility but what is the point? Don't care if I sound like a broken record - the guest hosts need to stop!

- Okay, so lastly, the Zack Ryder angle was awful. But I love the Ryder character and I'll take it for now, even if he did get punk'd (pun intended) by a diva. Give the man someone to feud with.

Now that was a fresh breath of air. It was not perfect, but they are giving a lot of different workers a chance. I hope it lasts. Ah... it's good to be back in so many ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment