Sunday, April 25, 2010

Quick Extreme Rules Predictions

I'm not particularly thrilled about tonight's PPV as I've said. It seems so insignificant. I think the fun really starts after the draft. That's when the real "season" of WWE programming begins. I wouldn't even mind if they took off for a month and a half following Wrestlemania. I think it would behoove the wrestlers and the writers and allow them to recharge, and it would give the fans some excitement for its return. Alas, it will never happen as the money machine keeps on cranking away. So here's my thoughts on tonight's show...

JTG vs. Shad Gaspard in a Strap Match
Still cannot believe they are giving these two PPV time. I'm glad they are and I hope they really shine. I don't know that either one of them will be breaking out into Supestardom, but at least they are being given a chance. Now the "strap" stipulation seems really forced, like they just needed another gimmick match on the card. Whatever, I think it's pretty clear they want to push Shad as a solo guy. So I expect a wee bit of flashy offense from JTG before Shad overpowers him and wins.
The Pick: Shad Gaspard

Women's Championship Match: Beth Phoenix vs. Michelle McCool(c)

I have not a clue what an "Extreme Makeover Match" is. These are, IMO, two of the better female wrestlers in the company, so it could be decent. I'm not expecting a lot of titles to change hands, so I think this may be the match where it does, as unimportant as that may be in some people's eyes. Beth wins.
The Pick: Beth Phoenix

Rey Mysterio vs. CM Punk (Punk's hair is on the line)

Well it seems they have completely dropped the stip that if Rey loses he has to join the Straightedge Society, a shame because that could have made for some great TV and really propelled this angle to the next level. With the only thing on the line being Punk's hair, I think it is clear as can be that he loses. He has been willing to lose his long locks for a while now as a mask vs. hair match was originally planned for Wrestlemania (and there is NO chance that Rey was going to lose his mask again). This just leaves me scratching my head as to why Punk lost at Wrestlemania. It seems the WWE has forgotten how to book simple "good guy" vs. "bad guy" feuds. You're supposed to build the heel up as unstoppable and as always one step ahead until the blow off match where the babyface finally gets his revenge and puts it to rest. Instead, Punk (if he loses again), who is one of the top heels in the company right now, will be made to look like a chump two PPVs in a row. We'll see. At least they should be given more time than they were at Wrestlemania to put on a better match.
The Pick: Rey Mysterio

Triple H vs. Sheamus in a Street Fight

I believe Sheamus wins here and HHH gets his rumored time off. Trips can always come back in a few months, claim that Sheamus' last win was a fluke, and bury him. I don't mean to hate on HHH, but c'mon you can see that happening!
The Pick: Sheamus wins

Edge vs. Chris Jericho in a Steel Cage Match
This match does intrigue me. I think it's clear that Edge will win and get his revenge from last month. The real question is will it be as good of a match as people had expected them to put on at Wrestlemania? Many were disappointed being that Edge and Jericho are two of the better workers on the planet right now. I think they can and will hit a home run tonight. They should get more time, plus the cage will make for some exciting spots. With the title out of the picture, they have a real chance to steal the show. I hope they do.
The Pick: Edge

WWE Championship Match: John Cena(c) vs. Batista (Last Man Standing)
Some people hate the last man standing stipulation. It doesn't bother me at all. In fact I think it really makes both competitors out to be tough guys. The only way to win is to beat the other guy until he can no longer get up. That's tough. Even the loser can be made to look strong in this match. At any rate, Batista is also supposed to be taking time off (sayonara!) and Cena has only been champ for a month (although, that sadly does not mean much any more). I'll go with Cena to retain.
The Pick: John Cena wins

World Heavyweight Championship Match: Randy Orton vs. Jack Swagger(c)
Jack Swagger... welcome to the big dance! Swagger's first title defense on PPV and it is against the biggest face in the WWE right now. All signs would point to Randy winning if we were going on storyline alone. Swagger's been beaten clean 3 times in non-title matches by Orton, Undertaker, and John Morrison since winning the title and really been made out to be a fraud champion. I guess that is WWE's plan though. Most fans will expect Randy Orton to walk out as the new champ tonight, but I believe luck will finally fall in Swagger's favor and he will just eke out a clean win tonight. He'll think that he is out of the clear until tomorrow night's draft when Orton gets drafted to Smackdown, extending this feud for a month or two when Orton will eventually get the strap. Otherwise the WWE has Orton win and just buries their athletic young star in a matter of weeks. I can only hope that does not happen.
The Pick: Jack Swagger retains

No comments:

Post a Comment